Sunday, September 26, 2010

Out on a ledge

There's a couple from our church that are avid rock-climbers. They've invited us many times to go out with them and we've set a few dates but because plans always change we would postpone our high climbing adventures. Finally, after Ryan (the husband) officially wrote the activity in pen in his planner and we specifically did not plan anything else, were we able to go up the canyon and get our climbing on. Brad hasn't rock-climbed in about 4 years ago and my last experience with rock-climbing was a rock-climbing wall my first week in Holland (nearly 7 years ago). Brad was the brave soul and went first while I watched and wondered how in the world we were going to survive the night. He did fantastic and zipped up the mountain!


He made it!

My turn was next...no more stalling. I got about half way up and started cursing in my head (everyone said they didn't hear me complaining so I'm guessing I kept it in my head) about how stupid I was and what in the world was I doing?!? Especially when there was a spot with absolutely NO grips for my feet or hands. With some persuading from everyone below and seriously, stepping out onto basically nothing, I found myself at the top. I think Ryan was pulling me up with the rope but he says I did it all by myself [maybe half and half :)].

"What in the world am I doing?!"

See that look of relief?

Ryan, in action, saving our lives...

Then Brianna and Ryan showed us what rock-climbing really looked like. They were both so comfortable with it and didn't have any "sewing machines" (calfs shaking from FEAR!).

Brianna showing us how it's done

There was an overhang at one point of the wall which Ryan dominated. It was cool to see him dangle and pull himself up...he's buff.

at the overhang

came.saw.conquered

We had enough time left that Brad decided to go up again on a different face. Minus the fact that his arms became tired quicker, he did great! It was right when the sun was setting too so the canyon was gorgeous!

Thanks for the wonderful adventure, Ryan and Brianna! We definitely stepped out of our comfort zone but we had a BLAST! Hopefully next time, it won't be as terrifying!

2 comments:

The Ostlers said...

I used to work with Ryan at the computer lab! Is that their baby?

Brei said...

Don't ever invite or plan any activity that includes any sort of rock/wall climbing for me. I will NOT participate. Freaks me out. Skydiving, on the other hand...