Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Rutabaga...say what??

Are you as confused as I am?  What the heck is a rutabaga?

Well, according to Wikipedia, a rutabaga [also known as a Swedish turnip] is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip.  In England, they are mashed and eaten as part of a traditional Sunday roast; in Canada, they are used as fillers in foods like mincemeat and Christmas cake; and in the U.S., they are commonly used in stews and casseroles [although I'm pretty sure I've ever seen one before...].  And, get this, before pumpkins were more easily accessible in the 1980's, they are what people would carve for Halloween.  Crazy.  But the big connection to the blog is that Baby is the size of one this week :)  And just to help you out, this is what one looks like:


So Baby Stats this week are:
Baby is 13.6 to 14.8 inches long,
1.5 to 2.5 pounds,
practicing inhaling and exhaling with his rapidly developing lungs,
and is showing more brain activity :)

My Stats:

Week 27
 Baby is growing growing growing.  I feel like I look like I'm ready to have a baby already, I can only imagine how much bigger this belly is going to get.  Still getting my leg cramps and need my body pillow to sleep.  But really, there has been nothing else.  I definitely feel lucky with how easy everything has been going.  We have our 3rd and final appointment [never thought I would say this...it seemed so far away] for the study that I'm participating in this week so we'll be getting some more ultrasounds done [can.not.wait.] and a regular doctor appointment scheduled next week.  Baby's going to be getting a lot of attention in the next 10 days.

2 comments:

Globe Trotters said...

so cute. You DO NOT look big. You still need THE bump. This is a bump, but then there is THE bump. And then baby will be ready :)

The Ostlers said...

What kind of study are you doing? I have always wanted to be a part of one of those! You look GREAT!