When I found out that my Mom was going to be driving thru Tuscon on her way back to El Paso [Brei had her baby (Aaron Chase) and my Mom came up to help her and her family, along with the companionship of my Uncle Kris], the wheels started turning and, with Brad's support, we figured out a little trip for Little Man and I. We drove down with my Mom and Uncle Kris to St. George to spend a few days with my Grandma along with the Mariner clan [thanks for letting us spoil the party!!].
![]() |
| Loving Grandma's alpaca rug |
![]() |
| A nice stroll with Uncle Kris |
![]() |
| Watching the Dodger game with the biggest Dodger fan in his Dodger pajamas given by this same Dodger fan. |
![]() |
| Uncle Kris keeping Will company as he falls asleep. |
Following our St. George adventures, we began our trip to El Paso, via Tucson. William did amazing during the road trip!! It was an 8 hour drive from St. George to Tucson and he was easy and content and only started getting fussy the last 20 minutes to Ayrel and Ben's house. Road warrior rock-star!! We arrived at the Gonzalez' house around 6 pm and Ayrel had a delicious soup ready and waiting for us. After dinner, we said goodbye to Mom and Kris as they made the last leg to El Paso [I would have gone with them but it was at the height of tax season and I knew that I wouldn't really get to see the parentals all too much so I decided to crash at Ayrel's and spend the week with them :)].
We had a wonderful, relaxing, WARM week and I still think it went way too fast. Avery was adorable with Will and would do everything to try and help him if he was fussy or upset. My favorite was her songs that she would make up and sing to him...and they'd actually calm him down! Some of the Avery-isms of the week were:
"You ok. You ok. You ok." -- in her singing voice and her hand gestures.
"You alright little guy. You alright little guy." -- again, in her singing voice and with great hand gestures.
Here's an idea of what her songs sounded like...
I had ran to the restroom and Will became upset. When I went to go check on him, Avery was yelling at him but before I did anything I wanted to figure out what she was saying. After a few seconds of listening, I realized she was yelling, "NO SMILING!! NO LAUGHING!! STOP SMILING!! STOP LAUGHING!!" I figured out that she had probably started sweetly and quietly but as he grew louder in his protests, she grew louder in her "joke". All I could do was laugh and say thank you for trying to help.
Avery pulled out her Dr. kit and began to examine Will while he was eating.
After her check-up, she stated, "He had a nickel in there!"
This following her experience of swallowing a coin and having multiple check-ups and x-rays to determine where it was.
Ben and Ayrel spoiled us by taking us to a fun resort to go swimming and enjoy the sunshine. We spent the majority of our time outside wandering around on the neat paths, walking around to see all the cool amenities, and swimming. Little Man was in heaven!! Especially in the hot tub...
![]() |
| Avery gave him a cape and called him Superman :) |
While I was down there, I was also able to meet up with my Nederland bestie, Jenn! She and her husband moved from Memphis to Pheonix for her husband's schooling and I finally got to meet her two other little men, LJ and Sam. They were so sweet to drive down to Tucson and spend a day with us. We took advantage of the great weather and headed to the zoo [along with half of the elementary schools].
![]() |
| I think LJ and Avery are friends. |
The last time I had seen Jenn was at her wedding a little over 3 years ago so it was great to catch up. It's been 10 years since we've returned from our exchange in Holland and it was neat to discuss how differently our lives have changed and what's happened in the last decade. And this girl had me cracking up just as much as when we were teenagers gallivanting around in Europe.
I loved every minute of this week! On Friday, Ayrel and Ben both had to work so I got to spend the day with Miss Avery. She has such spunk [if you couldn't already tell...] and we had a fun time.
I loved every minute of this week! On Friday, Ayrel and Ben both had to work so I got to spend the day with Miss Avery. She has such spunk [if you couldn't already tell...] and we had a fun time.
![]() |
| Avery was finding lots of "gold" rocks. We're rich!! |
![]() |
| Those cheeks! |
And before we realized, the week was over and we were on our way to Pheonix to catch a flight back to Utah. This little escape was exactly what I needed and I'm so grateful for everyone involved who spoiled me. It was sad to leave [especially the warm weather...I had to ask Brad to bring my jacket to the airport for me] but also great to be back home [and yes, we flew in Shamu back home and Will was a rock-star yet again in his first plane ride ever].
![]() |
| "See you later, Arizona!!" |


























1 comment:
How fun!! I'm glad you had some mom and sister time! Will is so precious!! I love the little shorts he was wearing :)
Post a Comment