Thursday, May 27, 2010

Birth Control

This past weekend Brad and I had the opportunity to go down to SLC and babysit our niece and nephews, Jake, Elena, and Kyle. Brei and Kelly headed out to San Diego to scoop out campsites for a future Bunker family reunion they are working on and it worked out where we could come down and watch the kids while they went to sunny, warm California. While Brad and I had a TON of fun hanging out with these kids, it was definitely excellent birth control :)

On Friday night, we headed over to my brother and sister-in-law's house to have a sleepover with their three kids, Mitchell, Curtis, and Aubree. We had a great time watching movies, eating popsicles and popcorn, and the cousins LOVED being together. Here's just a few pictures (mostly to make Grandma Jensen jealous enough to FINALLY come up here and visit us)...

Mitchell, Elena, Curtis, Jake, & Kyle

The following morning we woke up and headed out to Cabella's where they were having a free "fish" day. There was a big man-made pond that had a ton of trout in it and fishing poles were supplied for the kids to use. There was a huge line of kids so they would rotate groups every 15 minutes.

Kyle was frantically running to hide from being in the picture...apparently he doesn't like pictures...

Two of the workers there would walk around and help the kids try to catch a fish (the fish were NOT hungry plus there were a ton of worms at the bottom of the pond that had fallen off hooks so why would they want to eat one on a hook?). Since the fish weren't really biting, the workers used their special knowledge and tricks and lured them in. When it was our turn, one of the workers immediately walked over to Elena and started helping her. Within 30 seconds he had caught a nice fish and immediately handed the pole to Elena so that she could reel it in. I think she was surprised and a little frightened of the fish flapping around that she threw the pole down and slowly walked away from the fish while the worker was reeling it in. It was so funny because she was giggling the whole time but did not want to touch that fish. The worker kept saying, "Stand by the fish so your momma can get a picture." AGHHHH!! I'M NOT HER MOMMA! Finally Brad was able to push her close enough so we could get this picture...

The workers would then take the fish and gut them and prepare them so that whoever caught it could take it home and cook it. We warned Elena that they were going to kill the fish and that she didn't need to watch if she didn't want to but she was totally enthralled with the process!! While we were over with Elena, next thing I hear is, "Look Tanja. I caught a fish!" I turned around and right in front of my face was this guy...


holding his fish under my nose. I was shocked!! I guess another worker had started to help Jake try to catch a fish while we were with Elena getting her fish gutted. When they caught the fish, the worker told Jake to put his finger through it's gills and bring it over to the gutting table. We were laughing SO hard!! What a brave boy to just stick his finger through a fish! By about this time, our 15 minutes were up but all the kids seemed to have had a great time (minus the little melt-down Kyle had because he didn't catch a fish). Thanks Rachele for that wonderful idea! We had such a good time!

Here are some action shots of the other three...I even snuck one of Kyle!!

The rest of the day was spent playing-playing at the park, playing and Rachele's house, playing at Brei's house - just playing!! The weather wasn't all that great but it didn't stop us from being outside.



That night the kids went to bed VERY quickly and VERY easily. Kelly and Brei got home the next morning just in time for church! Brad and I had a great weekend with all the kids and loved seeing how excited they became over such small little things. We love family!

2 comments:

Globe Trotters said...

How much fun! These kids are growing up so fast. Soren should take Jake with him and the boys fishing, way to go Jake!

Melanee said...

I like this. I want to go fishing like that! I love the pictures, too!