Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Plea

Notice to MALE readers: if you are uncomfortable with "girl" material discussion, I would advise you to discontinue reading. But fortunately, I think most of the people that read this are female so this is my ULTIMATE PLEA!!

I certainly am going out on a limb here on about what I am about to discuss. Very few people know about my aversion to this particular subject but I'm about at my wits end just thinking about it. Ok...here goes...I HATE, despise, loathe, abhor, curse, detest [you get the picture, right?] bra shopping. I have NEVER ever ever liked it. In fact, even as a teenager getting used to the things, I would always wear sports bras because they held everything in just fine. Then, in high school I quickly realized that it wasn't particularly attractive to have smooshed boobs, I took on the challenge to find more "adult-like" bras. Now, 9 years later, I still have yet to find a bra that I absolutely love. I become so frustrated when I go to a store with the mindset that I'm going to find something, FINALLY, that will work perfectly but then quickly realize, yet again, how much I disdain the event. So here is my plea...I know there are many women out there that love bra shopping and I am asking for your help and advice. What brand do you like? What stores do you go to? How do you know if you like a certain bra? Please HELP!!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Blame your mama 'cause she has the same aversion. In fact I am seriously considering treating a good friend to lunch if she will be my shopping consultant (she is a former lingerie model). Desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

Brei said...

Let me know what you find out-I have the same aversion!

Sunny said...

I haven't bought a bra ( minus ONE very ill fitting nursing bra- and I was actually measured for that one! ) for probably 8 years. Whenever I'd go shopping for bras my mom would always bring me a leopard print one. I never ever got one though. :)

Bj said...

Haha Tanja, I feel your pain. I DESPISE bra shopping. I have some of the same bras I had in high school, and yes they look ragged, but they semi-fit. Seems like all the 'flattering' ones are shaped so that they stick out in some insane point. Does anyone's boobs ACTUALLY sit like that?
Wish I could help you out:)

Globe Trotters said...

I had the same problem. Until I found that perfect bra. It's all about patience. And looking around. I tend to find my favorite bras at Kohls. And I try on ones that I initially look at and think, "NO WAY". Sometimes you will be surprised how much you like them. Sometimes, they will fit just like they look. Don't be looking for it, because then you will never find it. Just grab a bunch (and I mean like 20) and try them on. When you like one or kinda like one, put them in a pile, and all the no-ways, in another pile. Keep re-trying the ones you like on- spend a lot of time in the fitting room- don't go shopping for a bra when you are on a time limit.

Hmmm. maybe you should come to Ft. Collins :) We could go bra shopping!

Crystal Noel Perry said...

You say you quit wearing sports bras in high school? Could have sworn you wore them on the mish too... :)

Anne of Green Barlows said...

Amen Sister! I also hate bra shopping. Maybe we can start a movement to make the sports bra be back in fashion...

Patti's and Bobbi's Excellent Adventures said...

Have you tried Victoria's Secret? I hear they have some really good, comfortable, flattering bras. Unfortunately I can't say for sure because they don't come in "my size." That
"one size fits most" deal is a myth! If you're really, truly desperate, you might go as far as letting an expert fit you. They will tug and push and yank your boobies into place until you look pretty nice! Apply a little ice later that evening and you'll be good as new the next day! Good luck entering the sadistic world of women's foundations!