Friday, August 3, 2012

Impromptus Roadtrip

As I was finishing up my time with Ayrel and little Avery in Cleveland, Ayrel's husband, Ben, had flown back from Tucson to pack up their remaining car with their remaining stuff to drive back to Arizona (Ayrel had one more week to stay for work before she flew out with Avery).  As he was taking a nap (after catching a red-eye flight out), I started to think about a way to help them out so that they could enjoy the rest of the weekend together, instead of apart, which has been the story the last few months.  My cousin, Melanee, was flying out that night (this all happened on Friday) to hang out with all of us and to go to Cedar Point (more on that one later...) and I started to think, "Roadtrip!  2012 with Mel!"  After talking it through with Ben and Ayrel, I called Mel and Brad to see what they would think (Mel to see if she wanted to spend the next 72 hours with me, and Brad to see if me coming back on a Tuesday instead of a Sunday would be survivable) and it was set.  Party across the U.S.A.!  After a Saturday packed with roller coasters at Cedar Point (Millennium Force -- best.roller.coaster.EVER.) and 4 hours of sleep, Mel and I were on our way!  We drove as fast as we could and made the trek from Cleveland to Tucson in 2 days with a total of 33 hours in the car.  Both of us added some states to our lists and definitely enjoyed the time together.  After crossing each state line, we would take a picture representing that state.  

Playing our musical instruments to the tune "Gary Indiana" as we crossed the state line.
Mel fell asleep while we crossed into Illionois...what to do, what to do...
Since Illinois is the Land of Lincoln, we made ourselves some top hats.
Just got to Missouri.  10 points if you know what this re-enactment is.
Another picture for the Missouri state line.  Mel is a tornado and I'm the Arch.
Quick pit stop at the Arch...can't figure out why these pictures are to the side...

I really wanted a jumping picture with the Arch but we couldn't quite capture it.  I think I jumped about 25 times with still no luck...here's what most of the pictures looked like.
Me getting frustrated and about to give up...
We made it!

After gassing up the car in the ghetto (thanks Mel's phone for those directions) and almost getting shot, we continued our drive to the West.
Lots of Jesus billboards...barely captured this one.
Mel and I were able to stop in Joplin, Missouri to meet up with some of my friends from USU.  While we were waiting to meet up, we decided to go to a park that commemorated all those lost in the tornado last year.  It was right across the street from the hospital that was destroyed.  This was definitely a humbling experience. 

Liz and Jonny!!  (and little Jonny!)
Oklahoma!!
Raise the roof!  Back in the homeland of Tejas!  (And Mel is asleep...again...)
Texas picture with Mel awake.  Mel is saying, "Everything is bigger in Texas" and I'm riding a horse.

Everything is bigger in Texas.
On historic Route 66
Made it to the Land of Enchantment...trying to make the Zuni symbol.
I was craving Taco Cabana once I realized we were near some.  After a few failed attempts in Amarillo and Santa Rosa, my craving was satisfied in Albuquerque.  Pure bliss.
And we made it to Arizona!!  We're cacti.

Ben welcomed us at their new home around 10:30 pm where we crashed.  After another short night of sleep, we made our way to the Tucson airport where I flew back to Utah and Mel made her way to Japanland with her mom.  

Looking pretty good at 5 am...

 I had such a great time and was so grateful that Brad was supportive of me doing this.  Loved the roadtrip and it was wonderful to spend that time with my cuz.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Just think, you could have made that trip at least 2 hours shorter if you hadn't taken all those silly pictures crossing state lines....but I'm SO glad you did! Love them, love seeing you & Mel together and being your same silly ol' selves!

Globe Trotters said...

1. NO OHIO picture.
2. I think you guys just took a bunch of pics at once and labeled them for each state bc you are always in the same spots.
3. You guys are nerds. I wish I could have joined in on the fun!
4. THANKS SO MUCH FOR DOiNG THIS! THANKS BRAD AND MEL TOO!
5. Next time, I wanna come!

Melanee said...

Party across America was a highlight of my summer. The only thing that would make it even better would be more fun family and cousins and Taco Cabanas in every town! Thanks for letting me tag along!